Friday, July 24, 2009

So Emotional!

Today was one of those days that was so crazy, but in the end...I learned some things. Jake came home from work yesterday sick. Didn't sleep all night, and felt so horrible that he said he needed to go to the ER. He wouldn't do that unless he was in some serious pain, so we went. After a billion tests, (which will probably cost us a billion dollars) and 6 hours later, he was sent home with an RX and a "Hope you feel better soon." I wrestled with the kids all day, trying to keep them quiet and entertained. For the most part they were pretty good.

Spending my day in the ER was so emotional for me. I saw people come in and out with injuries. Most were okay. Made me glad that my kids were running and playing. They were okay too.

But there were two ladies, probably in their 60's who weren't okay. Both of them came in with their husbands, and both of them left without them. Both men died today. I was so sad for them. I watched the first lady come with her husband by ambulance. They were doing CPR when they wheeled him in. Not a good sign. Later I watched them wheel him away with a sheet over his body. His wife walked out...slowly (with her daughters in hand thank goodness) and crying. That was it. They were probably having a normal 24th of July celebration today. Probably watched the parade this morning, and then life is changed in the blink of an eye. I watched this poor woman walk out of the hospital and I just sobbed.
The other lady had her life changed right as we were leaving. She was sitting in the waiting room with her Bishop and just sobbing. I was sitting a few chairs away from them, sobbing for her. I couldn't believe I witnessed this happen twice in one day.

As I walked out of the hospital with my husband, I really wanted to just hold him and love him. (There is no way that was going to happen though. He was still in a lot of pain and still wasn't doing well. ) How lucky am I? I got to leave with him today instead of leaving without him like those other women. This experience made me realize that I take too much for granted. I need to appreciate and embrace everyday I have with my husband and family. My life is good. My husband is my best friend. My children are my life. I couldn't imagine life without them.

One more thing...
There are a lot of things I don't like about living in Northern Utah, (mainly the snow!) but there are some things that I love and make me grateful for my living here. While we were sitting in the waiting room, waiting for Jake, a woman called over the intercom and asked if there were any Elders in the building that would be willing to come to the ER and give a blessing. This same thing happened all the time while Cole was at Primary Children's Hospital. Within minutes, 3 men walked into the room and were there to extend their Priesthood power and bless the sick. I cried again. How wonderful is that? I don't know if that happens anywhere else, but you can bet there is always the Priesthood a stone's throw away anywhere you go here. I do love that! It makes me feel safe.

What a day! I am tired and worn out. But, my testimony of family and the Priesthood as grown. That makes it all worth it!

11 comments:

ashlee said...

You just made me cry. i agree that we can't take things for granted and we need to realize how blessed we are. Thanks!

Tara said...

What a great post, thanks for sharing! Those poor women...glad Jake is okay. Thanks for the reminder of how blessed I am.

Joyful Mother of Children said...

Thanks Mel, I'm crying too! I know I take my family for granted as well. Thanks for the reminder of how precious life really is. I wondered why you didn't come suds it up with us today. Sorry Jake isn't feeling well. Hope he's better soon. Call if you need anything.

Kimmers said...

Hey babe!!! Just wanted to say thanks for the post. I love you!!! I hope that Jake is doing better and that you are okay as well....I miss you

Heidi said...

what an amazing post! Thanks for sharing. I hope your hubby gets feeling better.

Aubrey said...

Thanks for the reminder, Mel! We all need it once in a while!! Let me know if you need anything while Jake is sick...

Tiffany said...

OMG!! I would have been a wreck! So sad! Man.. life changes in a just ONE second! Those poor ladies, man I just feel so bad! Makes us all so grateful for our families and our health and happiness and especially the WONDERFUL Gospel! Thanks for sharing!

Krista Avance said...

Aww Mel, I sure do love you! And I hope that Jake gets better. We sure did miss you guys at the reunion this weekend.

Stacey Eaton said...

While we were at Primary I learned that in the wards around there they have specific calling of "being available to give blessings at Primary at any given time." I love it too.
And I also had a similar experience while giving birth to Mason. The mom in the next room was giving birth as well (we had the same nurses) and she ended up with a blood clot, had to be life flighted out of Vernal, and died while doing it, leaving a day old baby and a toddler. Ouch.
Glad you all are ok.

Steph said...

Thanks for the perspective. I needed that today. I love the Priesthood and everything that it means to me and my family. So glad my husband holds and honors it. I hope your hubby is okay. sounds awful.

Marcella said...

That was beautiful. I'm so glad our lives are so full and we are blessed! It's nice to be reminded of that.