Monday, July 21, 2008

Something's Gotta Give

The babies are 5 months old now, and Jake and I are still waiting for a full nights rest. The babies are sleeping worse now than they did when they were newborns. It is getting ridiculous! Putting rice in their bottles, didn't work...rice cereal alone, they didn't like it and it didn't work...rice with sweet potatoes, didn't like it and it didn't work. The doctor told us to hold off on the baby food for another month or so. He said they will eventually start to sleep through the night. Not going to happen. We are at our wits end. We haven't slept more than a 3 hour stent in 5 months. I don't know how much longer we can take it. We really are running on empty. So we have decided to separate the two of them, and let them cry it out. We could never do that before because they would wake each other up. So, they each have their rooms and are learning that sleep is a GOOD thing. Funny thing is that they are starting to sleep longer periods during the night, but their naps during the day are getting worse. I don't know which is better. Either I don't get sleep at night, or I don't get anything done during the day. What to do?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember how I bragged awhile ago that MAson is sleeping through the night. Well, that's over. NAte has had it too and let him cry for 15 minutes last night, and is going to do it again tonight (While I sleep in the guest room. Yea!) Keep telling yourself it is for the betterment of you AND the babies. And if I had a vote, I would DEFINITLY get the sleep at night versus the day. Who cares if you get nothing done and your house is a mess? At least you aren't going insane and a danger to society.

Michelle said...

I agree with Stacey. Ethan sleeps good at night (usually) but naps are another story. My house is always a mess because he's up so much during the day.
I was reading about crying it out because Ethan was having trouble staying asleep once I layed him down. I think it's fine to let them cry it out. That's the only way I ever got my other 2 kids to sleep good. I have no idea why Ethan sleeps so good. I think I just got lucky.
I wonder why your doctor says to wait on baby foods. I know waiting 6 months is the best but my dr. said between 4 to 6 months. I heard that if the babies have doubled their birth weight then it's okay to start on solids. Hope your sleeping better soon!

Tara said...

We let Caden cry is out when he was much younger than your twins...I think he was 2 1/2 months or so and it was the best thing we ever did. I also have noticed with Caden that when he sleeps better at night his naps are better during the day. Somehow for Caden they were connected. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Oh yea-Talk to your doc again. Mason has been scarfing down solids the last week. Hopefully it will make a difference soon. I'd get those babies on yummy carrots asap if you get the ok.

Unknown said...

Oh-heaven help you! My Mason was a horrible sleeper that I finally let him cry it out and it was the best thing I ever did and it only took 3 nights of crying and he figured it out. Like your friend above-his napping got better too! My little Hannah sleeps from about 9:30p to 6:30a, which is wonderful, but naps are pretty skechty and I don't get much done when she is awake and I only have 1-I can't imagine 2! I wish you luck and many prayers!

Mel said...

My doctor always says, "since they were born early...they will take longer to do things. So wait a little longer to feed them solids." Whatever! It really makes me mad when he says that. They weren't really born early. I carried those little suckers to 38 weeks. A lot of single births don't make it that long!
Anyway, Stacey you are too nice about the crying for only 15 minutes. I let them cry for an hour sometimes. They fight it to the death. Hopefully in another week, I'll be singing a new tune!

VivaLasFloyds said...

Nyquil...works everytime!

Tiffany said...

Keep going girl!! Crying it out is my way of doing things!!

Nichole said...

I noticed how you said that your Dr. is a "he". The best advise that my mom ever gave me is that mother knows best. Trust your instincts. Ditto on the crying it out, that was the only way for me too. I took a long time (looooong weeks)with the first one and only a few days with the second. Hang in there! You are blazing the twin trail, let us know how it goes.

Harward Happenings said...

Hi Melissa. This is Stacy (formally Dahl) Harward. I found your blog through Erica. You're family is so cute! Good luck with the sleeping through the night thing. I had to let my little guy cry it out to get him to sleep on his own and it was well worth it.

jill said...

Hey Melissa, you are a trooper. If you ever need a nap during the day, don't bother to call me I will watch your kids. I know not getting any good sleep is hard on you!! You should take a night off, and us girls in the neighborhood should go out one evening. Let me know if you need any help with anything. Errands, meals, babysitting, anything I would love to help and make your life a little easier!!

The Thomas Family said...

I found that there is a “time and a season” for everything. And for me, at least it came down to being a good mom, or being a good “homemaker”. Knowing that eventually the twins would get bigger and I would be able to do both. So hang in there, get the sleep you need, and the “to do” list will eventually get done.

The World Famous Marx Family said...

I wish you luck, My little guy didn't sleep thru the night for a long time, crying it out, wouldn't take a passi, nothing worked. He finally grew out of it and started sleeping. It took awhile. Patience!:s. Best of luck
Mel