Day 1
Today was one of the longest days of my life. I stayed up until midnight last night to feed Cole his last bottle. He couldn't eat after that. Tyler decided to have nightmares last night, so Jake and I were awake the rest of the night with him, and still had to get up to feed Ella too. The alarm clock went off at 4:30 am, and then we had to get up and get ready to leave. We had to be at the hospital at 6:00 am. They took my baby boy away about 7:30am. It took them an hour to get him "under" because he is so small. Then they started to surgery. Jake and I were insanely tired, but there was no napping. They updated us about every hour. The neurosurgeon came in about 11:00 am and said his part was done, and that things were going really well. Then the plastic surgeon came in around 1:00 pm to tell us that they were done, and things went great! We had to wait another hour for him to get situated in the pediatric ICU before we could see him. That's about when the tears started flowing. I went to the bathroom to try and get myself together, and then we went to see Cole. My poor little boy was lying so helpless on that hospital bed. It looked like he had been through war! He had tubes coming out of everywhere. The hardest part to handle was that he didn't have any dressings on his head. The fresh incision was right there! Jake and I both lost it! I just stood there rubbing his arm, and crying my eyes out. I couldn't stop! You could tell he was in a lot of pain, and he was still pretty out of it. On the bright side...his head looks amazing! It is round! It's pretty swollen and will be even more tomorrow. But, it is so amazing how good it looks. He will be in ICU until tomorrow, and then will spend a few days in a regular room until they think he is ready to come home. I was planning on staying the night with him tonight, but I just couldn't hold myself together! I needed to come home and get some very much needed sleep. I would have just been in the way anyway. I can't hold him yet, so I would just be standing by his bed and crying the whole time. I will go back tomorrow morning and stay until he gets to come home.
Before

I hope no one gets upset with the pictures. We have some very detailed ones, but I thought I would spare you. It is a little upsetting! But, notice Cole's hand jesture in the before picture! Ha Ha!
Before

I hope no one gets upset with the pictures. We have some very detailed ones, but I thought I would spare you. It is a little upsetting! But, notice Cole's hand jesture in the before picture! Ha Ha!










8 comments:
Oh that just breaks my heart. It really hits home when you have one the same exact age. I hope the recovery goes well and I hope you can catch up on some sleep sometime!
Oh I feel so bad for you guys, that has to be the hardest thing. I'm glad the surgery went well and I hope he recovers fast. Hang in there!
I can't imagine what you and Jake are feeling right now. Your little family is definitely in my prayers this week! Love you!
Poor Cole!!! I can't look at these pics right now...no crying at work! Hang in there, let me know if I can do anything! Love ya!
OH MY GOSH!!! You are so tough and so is little Cole! I was getting choked up reading that.
His head really is unbelievable. I can't believe how fast it transformed. Well, now he is even more handsome and perfect!
that sweet little bot. glad its all over with and i pray for a speedy recovery! i hope you were able to get some rest last night.
Hang in there...he looks great for just coming out of surgery. At least in the pics you posted. His before gesture is hilarious at first it looked like he was giving the thumbs up until I enlarged it. Way to go Cole! Cole and the rest of your family will be in our prayers. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. I am sure I could talk your mom into going up for a day or two. Take care!
That brought tears to my eyes just reading it. It would be so hard to see your little baby go through that. I can't imagine. I'm really glad that everything went well!
Post a Comment