Volleyball
I've been watching a lot of college volleyball lately. I love it! It takes me back to a time when I was thin and fit...and just loved playing. Or even coaching for that matter. I loved that too. Now, it has been a while since I have played organized volleyball. There are a few new rules that have surfaced in the past few years that kind of bug me. Please excuse my ignorance.
1-What's with the libero player? Isn't that just a fancy name for saying "backrow specialist"?
2-Why is it all of a sudden girls can wear hair clips? That would have saved us some crazy hairdos.
3-Rally scoring...it makes the game so much more exciting! I know that we had rally scoring my senior year of high school, and some of our games lasted 2-3 hours...but wasn't it so much fun?
4-Being able to set the ball on the first hit. Remember when the ball was coming right at your face and you didn't really know what to do about it? Should I back up and pass or should I overhead fist it and hope it is worth setting?
5-Probably the one that bugs me the most! Serves being able to hit the net as they go over. WHAT!!!! Do you know how many 'ladders' and 'sprints' that would have saved me in my career. Oh man! I would complain the whole time,'cause I hate running. That rule would have been worth gold to me back in the day.
Okay, so that's my volleyball vent for the day. I still love the game!
By the way, BYU's setter is one of the girls I used to coach at the LVVC. That makes me feel really old! I don't take any credit in where she is today though, so was awesome even in the 7th/8th grade. It's fun to watch her though.








13 comments:
Yah,I don't understand volleyball talk! ;)
I hear ya! I laughed (in agreement) with each one of your points. My volleyball memories are my favorite from high school...
We should get together and watch our videos together. Only we could appreciate them...Scott thinks they are dumb!
i miss playing high school volleyball as well...even thought we sucked except for ashlee!
Tara, Jake likes to watch our high school tapes. He says he can spot you a mile away from your hair!
I have been playing on a league team for a few weeks and I forgot how tiring it can be...or maybe I am just really out of shape. It makes me miss high school volleyball- sometimes. If it wasnt for Ashlee and Mandy-I wouldnt have survived the rath of Hitler.
My one year on Cheyenne's B-team was the extent of my volleyball experience. But, I do like the game, even though rule changes mean nothing to me!
Will you play on a league after the babies come?
Yes Liberos are fancy "back-row specialist" except you don't burn one of your subs. It made more sense before rally scoring. Games were so long that you burned your subs by the time the score was 3-2 and then you had people like Jason Schmidt/Brad Bywater trying to play defense for the rest of the game.
I always "liked" the multi colored ribbons braided into the hair(rolling his eyes). It could be worse i.e., it could be the girl scout chants during softball games. So unsexy, Mandy said she didn't participate but I don't believe her.
Girls had rally senior year? I thought they just implemented best 3 out of 5 and the 5th game was rally. That is what the boys had.
Didn't you have setting on the first hit at Dixie? It was allowed in club when I was a junior and yes I love that rule. "I am good with my hands...in volleyball", says Taylor as he lowers his head, shrumps his shoulders, turns around and slowly walks into the sunset.
I actually like the serving rule. First, it rarely comes into play. Second, after rally scoring was implemented teams started serving scared. The jump serve, at least a hard jump serve, was a thing of the past because it was automatic point for the other side; at least it the serve got in you had a chance to score. The new serve rule was to allow teams to start really jump serving again.
A few volleyball "remembers..."
-That Green Valley girl's crazy approach
-Mandatory summer fun raisers for both teams and then all the money would go to the girls teams and by spring we had to wear the girls practice jerseys
-Coach Brown unable to serve the ball to the 10 foot line
-Coach Brown saying she played college ball
-"Lil' Bomb"
-Cheyenne tattoos under your eyes
-"You gotta reach....higher." and "MORTAL COMBAT!!!"
-During serving warmups seeing who could blow up the most opposing players
-Coach Perry's blue jacket
-Todd Hardy
I could go on for days
I really want to start playing again. I think it was been 5-6 years.
Sorry so long
Thanks for all the insight Tay.
I also remember all of you guys having to wear crazy shorts to warm up in. And poor Todd...will he ever catch a break?
I am definitely going to start playing on a league next summer. I want to play on a good one though, no jungle ball. I need to get my butt worked so that I can loose all the baby weight!
est' heit' sdncbh'fkdjs agshak webhj sk sybchw iouk wjnd w hdbuw lsjkdn . That is what I get out of this volleyball talk. Maybe you could translate?
I WANT TO PLAY! I am sure I totally suck, but what is new. I just signed up for church ball aka jungle ball. Seriously, do they HAVE to play half court? BLEHHHHH! I miss the real stuff so bad. Remember playing at the church at night?
Riddle me this? How did Gator end up being the best coach we had? That guy saved any bit of sanity I had my senior year. Don't even get me going...*blood pressure beginning to rise* Also, do you remember Kristy's prayers before the game? They always made me smile/laugh!!!
What was the deal with Todd? Jason Schmidt played volleyball? Really? Taylor...there is nothing wrong with softball chants, it is part of the game! Although, Billy would agree with you 100%.
The only thing Jason was good for was blocking. "Just stand there and hold your arms up!"
I hated the softball cheers too. They were kinda gay. But it was just something you had to do.
I remember Gator just laughing at me everytime I would throw a fit about running. He was pretty decent. Could you imagine how good we would have been if they let Jim coach us, like he was supposed to? Ah, if we could go back in time!
I loved Gator especially when he would yell at us for messing up and I couldn't tell if he was looking at me or the person next to me...He was the best coach (in high school) hot breath and all!
Post a Comment