Friday, January 16, 2009

Goodbye Helmet, Hello Epi Pen


Wednesday of this week was a day of doctor appointments for Cole. We went as a family so Jake could watch the other 2 kids while I was with Cole. Usually I take all 3, but for some reason Ella is deathly afraid of doctors. When they walk into the room she starts screaming! And the appointments aren't even for her. Drama girl!




Anyway, first was the plastic surgeon to get his head checked. All is well. Cole's doctor said that he is pretty much done wearing the helmet...YEAH! He said it wouldn't hurt to have him continue to wear it at night for the next month, but that's it. I am so happy, and I am sure he is even happier!



Then it was off to the Allergist. He had some skin testing done which confirmed he is allergic to peanuts. UGH! His doctor said it is probably a good idea to keep him away from all nuts. So we as a family have to readjust our eating habits. I have to start reading labels more carefully and make sure others know that he can't be around peanuts. Tyler asked for a PB&J for lunch yesterday and I sadly had to tell him he couldn't have it. It is going to be an adjustment. I also have to carry Epi pens with me at all times. Good thing I am no stranger to needles!






So, that's Cole in a nutshell. Pun intended? Other than all of the crazy ailments, he is such a fun little boy. He thinks he is so big! He gets into all of the drawers and cabinets and empties everything out. He climbs the stairs all day. He loves to play with his brother and steal things from his sister. He loves to play "Where's Cole?" He will cover his head with things and says, "Aaaa Saaa?" That's his way of saying 'where's Cole?' He is such a smart kid and figures things out very quickly. It looks as though he will start walking soon. He is very daring and has started climbing on top of things. He's crazy...and we love him!

5 comments:

Nichole said...

Stinks about the nuts. Our pre-school is nut free, so my kids think they are allergic to nuts too. Good luck, I know that really limits your snack choices.
Woo hoo! Cole! When Sage stopped wearing her helmet she had so many bumps on her head. She thought that she was a rhino, but quickly learned that the protection was gone.

Mel said...

Yeah, I know what you mean about the helmet. Lots of bumps, but will eventually even out. And Cole is constantly ramming his head into the walls. Not so much fun now that there isn't a helmet. He'll learn!

Mortensen Family said...

Have you see the have cashew butter and I think almond butter? I know you still can't give it to Cole, but it make be a good substitute for Tyler. I think Trader Joe's carries a lot of stuff like that. Good Luck! Hopefully he can out grow it.

Michelle said...

Poor Cole about the peanuts. That's a tough allergy. My kids go to a nut free school and there's so many things that have traces of peanuts that you wouldn't expect like non-peanut butter granola bars. Maybe it will get better over time.

-KJ said...

So sad he will never know the glorious combination of peanut butter and chocolate.

That is great news about the helmet! He is so cute. Sounds like he will keep you on your toes. Spencer was a hider for a while, and it made me nuts because I really could never find him until I threatened to leave. I always had to open the garage so he would come running. Just a tip for you, if you need it in the future!