Monday, November 12, 2007

Not Normal

I have had a few things going on lately with my heart. For the past couple of weeks I have had heart palpatations. No big deal right? It happens with all pregnant women. But mine have been progressively getting worse. I have one of those heart listening things for the babies, and have used it more on my own heart then on theirs. It sounds as though my heart stops for a brief second, my chest tightens (which makes me cough), and then when it starts up again it's like a thump in my chest that I can feel from the outside. For a while it was just happening every other day, then it went to everyday, now it is just constant. On top of that, I have had episodes of pure exhaustion. I feel like a just ran a marathon and my whole body aches. Can't lift my arms or legs, and I have to lay down for about an hour. It happened the other day when I was just putting on make-up. Crazy, huh?
So, last Saturday all of this was going crazy and kept me up all night. Sunday, Jake took me to the ER. They hooked me up to all kinds of crazy machines and did a bunch of tests. One of my blood tests was elavated, so they made me have a CAT scan of my chest. That was not fun at all. A couple of hours later, the doctor said there really wasn't anything serious going on and sent me home.
Tuesday I went to the Cardiologist. He set me up for another test, but basically said the same thing. It's all pretty normal with pregnancy. I do have a previous heart condition though, so that's why they are sending me for another test.
Then Friday, I went to my OBGYN and he said the same thing. It's normal, and is going to get worse. Especially since I am carrying twins.
So, in the end... I just need to deal with all of this madness! Am I just going crazy? No, I don't think so! We'll see what this new test says, but basically I'm fine. Just got to deal with the heart thumping for a few more months.

The babies are doing really well. Both of them are measuring exactly the same and are moving around like crazy. They both weigh 1 pound 3 ounces right now. Exactly where they should be.

I don't know if you will be able to hear the pause in my heartbeat. I can hear it, but I listen to it all the time. Thought you would like to take a listen...
(I have it recorded on my computer, so I just have to figure out how to get it on here. Stay tuned.)

7 comments:

Michelle said...

That's so crazy! I've never of heard of heart problems during pregnancy although strange things do happen during pregnancy. I hope it gets better and not worse.

Tiffany said...

Are you okay? No wonder why I haven't heard from you!Holy crap! I want to talk to you so call me! I am glad you are alright! I'll be in Vegas for Thanksgiving,will you?

Chuckie said...

Hey Mel, that sucks...is there anything we can do for you? If you need anything just give me a call. I can't wait until Feb. 3rd to see the new twins! You are still going to have them on my b-day, right?!

Tara said...

I bet that is so frustrating! Well I am glad it is nothing serious and you and the babies are alright. I am headed to Utah soon. I will call you so I can come rub your belly!

-KJ said...

Yikes! That is scary. I was wondering where you had been!
I am glad to hear the babies are doing well...at your expense!
What days does Tyler have preschool? I can't remember. Maybe after Thanksgiving we can plan a lunch date!

Mel said...

Thanks for your concern everyone. I am doing just fine.

Tiff~No, my family is coming here for Thanksgiving.

Chuckie~Thanks! Believe me, I would love for them to come on Feb 3rd, but my uterus is a cheaper NICU than the hospital. We'll see.

Tara~ Please call when you get here. I am right off the freeway, so you can jump off, visit for a little while, and then jump right back on. Easier said than done though right?

KJ~Ty has preschool on Tues and Thurs. I've been wanting to call you so I can come see your new house. You know how that goes! Yes, after Thanksgiving!

Nichole said...

Isn't pregnancy wonderful? ;)
It will all be worth it soon! Hang in there!