Surgery Needed
I took Cole to the plastic surgeon today to get an evaluation on his head. The doctor wasn't in the room more than 2 minutes when he said that surgery was his best option. My heart sank a little, but I kinda knew this was going to be the case. He has sagittal synostosis, which is where the sutures on the top of his head have already fused together. So the only way his head can continue to grow is lengthwise. The older he gets, the longer his head will get. The doctor said the best time to do the surgery is between 3-6 months, so that's where we are. Once the surgery is set up, he will have to get shots everyday for 3 weeks to increase his blood supply. This is so they can recycle his own blood during surgery and hopefully avoid a blood transfusion. After the surgery, he will be in the hospital for about 4 days. Then he should be good to go. The doctor showed me before and after pictures of babies that have already gone through this. The transformation is almost immediate. It's amazing!
I have been a little emotional today, trying to take it all in. I feel good about it though. It could be much worse. I'm just so thankful that it is just reconstructive surgery and he doesn't have a major illness. He's perfectly healthy...but just has a long head.
I will keep posting as things progress. Everything is going to be okay!








8 comments:
Oh dang girl. We'll be praying for you guys and your sweet little baby!
:( Anything with a baby and a hospital is emotional. If you need a listening ear, let me know. I am sure it will turn out okay. Primary is the best.
thanks for calling and telling me this!
do I get to take Ella for a few days??.......please!
It is so scary going though all of that! We had to do a Cat Scan on Sage to check her sutures and ended up with the helmet. Good luck with everything, he will be fine!
Wow. That is crazy. Hang in thre!!! He is just going to be even MORE beautiful! Keep us posted.
O' Melissa! I am so sorry I wish I could be there for you but you are in my thoughts and prayers! Love you sweetie!
When is the surgery?
Holy cow, this is big and I know you're stressed but it will be so great in the end and all will be well, I'm sure of it! Let us know how we can help. We're right next door and I'd be HONORED if you called me first for any help you needed, seriously!!!
Post a Comment